Map of SE Asia

Whether you are just visiting Thailand or staying forever, here are some options.

Tourist Visa

This is a 60-day Tourist Visa to Thailand that can either be a multiple or single entry and can be extended for up to another 30 days by means of a visa run. Well if you want to extend longer than 30 days, you can convert the visa to a Non-Immigrant Visa which will require you to go to the nearby city or country such us Penang and Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Non-Immigrant Visa

This is normally a single entry visa to Thailand valid for 90 days. Like the tourist visa, you can extend your stay by doing visa run going to the border or nearby city/country. Obtaining a work permit and opening a bank account is possible.
One Year Non-Immigrant Visa

This visa is often a Multiple Entry Visa to Thailand valid for use for a period of 1 year. You are allowed to stay 90 days per entry which means, every 90 days, you will have to go to border and have your visa stamped at the immigration (visa run).
Marriage Visa and Retirement Visa

There is no direct application for this 2 visa types. But don’t worry its not going to be a complicated process, as long as you will meet the special financial requirements for the application. How to obtain a Marriage Visa in Thailand? You must simply be married to a Thai National. Otherwise, if you want a Retirement Visa in Thailand, you need to be 50 years old or above.

The process is as easy as 1 2 3. First step, you obtain a non-immigrant visa. Next, convert the non-immigrant visa to either Marriage Visa or Retirement Visa. These are the visa types that will allow you to stay in Thailand for the whole 1 year (renewable) without going to the border or not leaving the kingdom anymore at all.

Business Visa

This visa is specially designed for people who want to do business legally in Thailand. It is also known as Non-Immigrant Business Visa. You can get a work permit, open a bank account however you still need to do a visa run every 90 days.
Permanent Resident Visa

To qualify for this visa, you must have stayed in Thailand for 3 consecutive with the one-year-visa extensions. If you are married to a Thai for 5 years, you must be earning 30,000 Baht/month. If you are single, at least your monthly income should be 80,000 Baht. You just simply present your three years of personal tax statements proving the above-stated income requirements to qualify for a Permanent Resident Visa in Thailand.

New Thai Visa Application Regulations

As a foreigner, you are required by Thai Immigration Law to initially enter the Kingdom on a Visa if you wish to have a long-term stay in Thailand. This can be a visa (tourist visa for 60 days or non-immigrant visa for 90 days) issued by a Thai Embassy or Consulate outside of Thailand. You can also obtain a temporary stay with under the Visa Exemption Rule (VER). This allows citizens of 57 countries* permission to enter the Kingdom for a limited period of time (up to 30 days depending on the nationality) in accordance with Thai Immigration Law. This is commonly referred to as a 30-day stamp. Under the new provisions of the Visa Exemption Rule (VER), visitors can now come regularly to Thailand without limiting their stay within a total of 90 days in a six-month period. Just keep in mind that under the VER, you are allowed 30 days maximum on each visit. The restriction has already been abolished so tourists can now visit Thailand as often as they want, provided that they obtain 30-day entry stamp at airports and 15-day entry stamp if they are traveling via land borders. Thai Immigration Laws are revised on a regular basis for the convenience of tourists. However, immigration officials still recommend getting visas prior to arrival in Thailand, as they remind visitors that back-to-back short visas are not the proper way to extend the stay in the country on a long-term basis.

Visa Types Issued by Thai Embassies/Consulates:

Tourism in Thailand
Not for Business or Employment purposes
Allowed to stay up to 60 days
Extension allowed for another 30 days

Business in Thailand
Employed or Sponsored by Thai Company
Allowed to stay up to 90 days for single or 1 year for multiple entries

Study in Thailand
Allowed to stay up to 90 days for single or 1 year for multiple entries

Retirement or Marriage
Retiree must be 50 years or older
Marriage must be to a Thai National
Allowed to stay up to 90 days for single or 1 year for multiple entries

Applying outside Thailand?

Listed below are the different basic requirements per Visa type.

Valid passport with at least six months remaining before expiration
2 Passport size photos

50 years or older
Pension of 65,000 THB or 800,000 THB in Thai bank 3 months, or Combination of pension/bank account

Married to Thai national
Income as couple is 40,000 THB
Marriage Certificate
Spouse ID card & Household Registration

Valid passport with at least six months remaining before expiration
2 Passport size photos

Student in school
School must be certified, or
International school

Special Note

You may request for more time for your stay from Thai Immigration. This is called an “extension of stay.” Typically, a short term extension of stay is granted up to 30 days for Tourist Visa or Non-Immigrant Visa. Most people who come to Thailand want to extend stay. They may apply for an extension of stay for one year, but it must be for one of the following purposes: Business, Education, Marriage or Retirement. If you hold a tourist visa, you must first convert to a non-immigrant status before the long term extension of stay.

Information provided by … Your Gateway to Thailand

Leave a Reply


Your privacy is important to us and we will never rent or sell your information.



Go up